This delicious snack is great in the morning, on a hike, or anytime. Makes about 8 cups.
4 1/2 cups (18 ounces) oats (not instant oats)
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup shelled, raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons dried orange peel, or finely grated zest of 2 oranges
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup maple syrup, preferably Grade A Dark Amber
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the oats, pecans, pumpkin seeds, brown sugar, and dried orange peel in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place the oil, maple syrup, and 1/2 cup of water in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the oil mixture over the oat mixture. Stir to combine.
- Spread the granola on a roughly 12 by 17-inch rimmed baking sheet. Bake the granola until it begins to brown, about 25 minutes. Then stir it with a flat spatula. Let the granola continue to bake until it is golden brown, dry, and fragrant, 30 to 35 minutes longer. Stir the granola at least once more as it bakes and watch it carefully during the final minutes because it can burn quickly.
- Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack and let the granola cool completely. Add the cranberries and stir to combine. Transfer the granola to an airtight container. It can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 month or frozen for up to 3 months.